June 16, 2017

What kind of course can get designated?

This varies depending on the undergraduate program; many different types of courses have earned the RS designation. RS courses are typically upper-division courses, but can be required capstone experiences, elective topical classes, alternative honors paths through a major, senior theses, and individualized research/creative experiences (the typical independent study research course).


In this diagram, you can see that some programs require RS courses for all students in that major (left), some programs require an RS course for some students (like an honors or research track), and some offer RS courses as electives available to all students but not required.

Leave a Reply