June 16, 2017

Can independent study get an RS designation?

Yes, it would be great to get these courses RS designated (since the purpose is doing research!), if the course number is only used for individualized research or creative projects, and there is a common syllabus to the research experience. Note that this syllabus doesn’t need to be prescriptive, but it should include the student learning outcomes, and include spaces for the student and faculty to work out the goals of the research experience, a schedule, and the grading. We have a sample syllabus (in PDF and Word formats) for independent research that you are welcome to adapt.

Leave a Reply